Sunday, 3 August 2008

Lost & Found sounds I: Whipping Boy - Heartworm


Inspired to give this blogging thing more attention by that majestic Manc Sam these next few entries will see me uploading some hard to find or overlooked records that I'm passionate about.
First up we have Heartworm by Whipping Boy.

One December evening I found this baby in a little second hand record shop that was less second hand more second home for me. My elation at finding a mint condition copy subsided and was oh so quickly replaced by horror when after rifling through my pockets it became clear that I had left my wallet on my desk at work. It was 4:53 and with the shutters due to come down at 5:00 time was not on my side. After making 3 calls to people who concievably might be nearby and hearing "sorry mate still at work" "the whipping what? piss off I'm in the pub" and finally my 'beloved' girlfriend "A CD? do you need any more of those?" You've got loads. You wouldn't need to be Sherlock to know why she is an ex. Anyways The guy behind the counter who could probably bear the angst no longer handed me the CD and said just throw the money in to me next time you pass, It's cool you buy enough stuff here. MMMMwoiiii!!! I coulda kissed him.

Soooo this is the record that saw Whipping Boy go from standard Sonic Youth copyists to a fluent and cohesive act. Indeed for a few years before they were forgotten journos on the emerald isle would say "sounds like Whipping Boy" recognition of an identity they struggled to establish beforehand.


The savage dig at Bono on the wonderful We Don't Need Nobody Else remains one of my favourite lyrics in recorded music. Anyway All Music puts it more succinctly than I can.
Let the music do the talking

No comments: